Just a few moments ago it has been announced that SBS and their production partner Blink TV have secured participation in the Eurovision Song Contest until the year 2023.
This year will be the countries fifth participation in the contest. However they have always had to be invited annually by the hosting broadcaster and the EBU. This deal now means that the country has ensured automatic participation now for the next 5 years.
SBS Commissioning Editor Josh Martin said that ‘SBS has always been the home of the Eurovision Song Contest in Australia for 35 years and we are thrilled by this invitation to become a more permanent member of the Eurovision Song Contest family’.
This invitation Josh continued, shows the ability to bring the power of music from the other side of the world.
Paul Clarke, the Australian Head of Delegation, and director of Blink TV, added that this was wonderful validation of what Australia has brought to the Eurovision Song Contest.
Jon Ola Sand said that he was delighted to welcome Australia as a more permanent member in the Eurovision Song Contest.
Since Australia’s debut in 2015, they have placed in the top 10 three times. Last year Jessica Mauboy dropped to 20th place after receiving only 9 points from the televote. However they came close to winning in 2016 when Dami Im came second with Sound of Silence.
Last week Australia chose their entry for 2019. Kate Miller-Heidke, will perform Zero Gravity in the second half of the first semi final on May 14.